Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Surgery

So I finally went under the knife about two and half weeks ago to help remedy the sleep apnea I was diagnosed with back in February. The procedure lasted about the 2.5 hours as anticipated, without any known complications. It consisted of 5 or so smaller procedures rolled into one to help alleviate the problem. They were a rhinoplasty (I think this was for the minor deviation of my septum), turbinate resection (more nose work), UPPP (removal of tonsils, adenoids, and other stuff), a tongue resection (they shaved the “base” with some radio wave laser thing), and something else that may have included the pinning back of my uvula if that wasn’t part of the UPPP. Basically they gutted the inside of my nose and throat and realigned some muscles so I have more room for air to get in.
Coming off the anesthesia was interesting. I don’t think anyone expected me to be talking much if any for the few days, much less within an hour. I drifted in and out while they fed me a popsicle and I tried to talk. I stayed overnight in a recovery room, hooked up to an IV for fluids that they also used to keep me on main meds. They also had this forced oxygen/humidified air thing that blew in my face the entire night. It worked to keep my nose and throat moisturized to aid in healing but the it was a very noisy machine and would gargle up through the tube that fed the pseudo mask as condensate would build up. That was annoying as hell and I would have to call the nurse to come fix it periodically and never in tune with a pain med boost or fluid replacement. Fluids worked too. Didn’t know you could go every two-three hours without drinking anything but you can. Beth and my mom were both there through the entire surgery and up through most of the evening. Mom stayed and suffered through the noisy machines and sleeping on the one chair that pulled out similar to the airline seats they advertise on international flights. I did get to watch a little TV prior to falling asleep which was pretty early that night.
They discharged me after I ate/drank the required amount and noted the jogs I had filled up over the night. I was home by 11 the next morning after the procedure had started around 1 the afternoon before. The first two-three days involved a lot of sleeping and lying around. Needless to say, between a very loving mother and girlfriend, I was taken care of quite well. We had a shift change on Monday shortly before my follow up appointment as mom headed back to TN and my stepmom came in. They pulled my packing (think a 2” long tube about the size nice pen) at this appt and the ENT indicated I would not need to come back and see him unless I had seriously bleeding later on. This was important as I had 30+ stitches in the back of my throat and obviously some healing to do in my nose as well. Things were pretty eventless through about Thursday. I was able to move from only popsicles and water to Jell-O, soup and even some mac and cheese. Stepmom went back Wednesday and I spent the rest of the week on Beth’s couch as it kept me closer to town, doctors office, and hospitals, as well as the working folks I could call if need be. I stayed on my pain meds and antibiotics and things went pretty well until Friday and the 7-10 day pain came back. Basically I couldn’t and didn’t feel like eating. The pain was worse than anything early in the week, including the first couple days after the surgery. It sucked and I doubled up on pain meds for about a day (it was allowed) until it subsided last Sunday. Since then things have been improving pretty quickly. I started driving (aka off the pain meds) last Wednesday, worked pretty much a full week, less Monday morning, and have been fine since.
I can still feel some physical ramifications as I get tired a little more quickly if I do any physical activity. Still can’t tell any real difference in my sleep though. Still extremely paranoid about sleeping on my back as the scarring isn’t complete and therefore I still snore some. It’s definitely not like it was and the doc indicated to Beth that I shouldn’t snore in the future. Granted that carries a big asterisk as any significant weight gain will make this entire process null and void. I did have a set back last Thursday with a pretty bad nose bleed overnight but that was attributed to a scab falling off and the associated blood clot letting go in my sleep.
Here are a few things I learned during the whole process:
Cherry is my favorite Jell-O flavor.
Cookout (local Carolina chain) has the best milkshakes but Ben and Jerry’s has an ice cream, mocha-something that is the best cold dessert drink I have ever had.
Chicken noodle soup goes right down but pudding sticks to the roof of your mouth and tongue like a champ.
It’s easy to lose 10-12 pounds on a liquid diet.
Ensure is only good in chocolate. If you are depending on the vanilla for your protein, just let your muscles go for a while.
Don’t take Percocet on an empty stomach. If you take it with Tylenol or in a double dose, you will be loopy and make funny faces and expressions.
You can bleed a ton out of your nose or at least it looks so when you wake up in your own stuff.
Chips are your enemy. Stay away from Mexican joints that bring them to the table with salsa. The temptation is almost, if not more, than the will power to abstain.
Shopping in advance for any form of anniversary is a very, very good idea.
Even if you think you can go back to work and put in a full day and be as effective as you were, forget it. Accept that you will need at least a few weeks to be back to 100%

I am going to MD for the holiday weekend to see where Beth is from and grew up. It should be fun as there is a lot to see and do in just a few days. Just hoping I am back to 100% when I get on the plane in a couple afternoons so I can keep up.

3 comments:

Agent Orange said...

where are you going in MD! Hello, Nobrainer and I are up here!

Lawtonfunk said...

Hope you're feeling better.

Agent Orange said...

well I hope you got my birthday phone call ya loser