Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Charlotte Tax Dollars at Work

So I attended by first Bobcat's Game in the new arena, aptly named Charlotte Bobcat’s Arena. I must say that it was quite impressive. Unlike the old arena it is very vertical in design with regards to the seating. Had I been in the upper deck last year for a game I would have needed the binoculars the old lady down low was using. Anyway, it was very ornate inside and the mechanical system is massive. I am actually somewhat proud to say that some of the equipment on the job was provided by manufactures I rep, unfortunately it was provided through another firm as the work was done by a contractor out of Detroit. Of the few here that would have been capable of such a large scale job was already committed to another one of my favorite Charlotte Municipal job, the New County Courthouse. Lots of artistic stuff inside, an absolutely incredible scoreboard that features a model of the Charlotte skyline around the top which is back by some mood lighting for a day or night background. The screens were very crisp and the video boards and graphics throughout are quite impressive. It also helps that close ups of cheerleaders were that much better because of it. At least these girls weren’t going at it (in more ways than one) in the restroom, unlike our Panther Cheer squad in Tampa, but I digress. Anyway, the Bobcat’s won their home opener but couldn’t pull it out last night against the Jazz while Poot and I attended. I just hope the team improves with the UNC player recruitment to keep the attendance up. We weren’t at half capacity last night, not bad for a lower tier team on a Monday but makes people wonder if the “investment” was worth the cost. The old place filled up with concerts when they came through anyway. Until they fill more nights with activities past minor league hockey, basketball and the events that had no attendance issues to begin with, I’m going to fill a bit slighted helping foot the bill and the operation cost.

No comments: