Monday, March 27, 2006

That'll piss ya off

I've spent the last 9 years using the same calculator. Not just any calculator either. None of this sissy TI-85 crap, no an HP-48GX with expandable memory capacity that sucks down triple a batteries like a kids juice box. This thing had expandable that existed before anyone really knew what it meant and could be programmed for stuff I still can't fathom doing. Most importantly, if entered properly, it could convert any measurement from SI to Imperial units in a few quick key strokes. Many folks went through a couple in college due to the rough and tumble abuse of that lifestyle but mine was fortunateto make it as well as most of my first four years out of school. How I don't know as the damn thing kicked out some messed up numbers and was thrown a couple times. However, it was often given due credit as the one thing most attriutable to graduation. As I pulled it out for work Friday morning and to extreme dismay, the screen was inner cell was cracked and a blob of mystery fluid/plasma was covering most of the screen. Though the internal operations still appear to operate and it can be used for basic output, the full usefulness has been compromised. I am extremely upset as you can tell. Those outside the realm of Clemson Engineering between '95 and '03 may not understand and I don't expect them to. Classes changed, pencils broke, and computers crashed but the HP and it's reverse polar notation was always there with an annoying beep when you performed an action not allowed (adding two number when only one had been entered for example). The calculator had even brought a reputation here as when it was broken out smart comments abounded. My biggest concern? Going back to a regular calculator or heaven forbid, an adding machine that works like neither a standard calculator nor the machine I have so well bonded with. A little liquor will be poured out in it's memory this week. It may have happened Friday night, but I don't think anyone can remeber honoring it.

3 comments:

Agent Orange said...

Wha math WITHOUT the HP.....Oh dear Lord, help us all.

Anonymous said...

Try using a regular calculator...people will think you're even more retarded when you can't figure it out.

The Double D said...

I have a couple offers out there to buy old ones for between 125 and 150. Half the original price for equipment pushing ten years old. Don't know. Seems high but then again, it does everything I need and is not in production. Anyone know what I knew one cost prior to them going out of production?