Friday, April 07, 2006

Success

Many of us stress out about our jobs and everything that we have going on. Most of this readership, if not all, is college educated and at least attempting to be upwardly mobile in our respective careers. With this in mind and the pressures we all put on ourselves, or have put on us by in various ways by others, I like to reference back to the following quote. Apparently there is a debate about who actually wrote it, at least as far as the site I am copying the test from indicates. I'll give attribution to Ralph Waldo Emerson he is given credit on the small framed copy of this I received for high school graduation and it has traveled with me since. I re-read it the other day while packing and wanted to share it with you all.


Revamped to include the long version I mentioned in comment.

"The definition of success--

To laugh much

To win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children

To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty

To appreciate beauty

To find the best in others

To give one's self

To leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.

To have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--

This is to have succeeded."

~ Emerson

2 comments:

Nobrainer said...

I knew I'd been setting my standards too high. I'm glad I can give up now.

The Double D said...

I found the actual frmaed version and what I have posted is truncated. There are a few more to addto the list but honestly, I htink I owuld rather be judged on this list than what most of society has prefered as of late. At least I'll feel good about achieving it.