Monday, August 13, 2007

Maybe I am useful

As we have all learned, I can't paint. From now on, I won't paint. Well, can't say that, I won't paint other than the ongoing touch up and fixing of the job mentioned a week or two ago. Especially considering the amount of original paint that peeled when the tape came up along with the places the new paint peeled back from the edges. One thing I will say, if you start having orignal paint peel along with your tape, spray down the tape with Goo Gone and let it soak for a minute. It seemed to help on the last quarter of the room that I peeled.
Anyway, though I can't paint, it seems I can do a few handy man things. Hung a bunch of organizer stuff in the garage, replaced all my kitchen cabinet hardware (a 5 y/o could have pulled this one off, but I expedited it with the use of a screw drive bit on a drill) and my most recent feat.
I've had some moderately annoying electrical clitches with my refridgerator. Needless to say they didn't spring up until about the time the one year warranty was up on anything other than the refrigerant cycle. Read in the compressor and other parts that allow the appliance to do it's work. Your heat pump kinda works the same way. Anyway, the light was randomly fading in and out on the front panel for ice and water. The water dispenser wouldn't always work, neither would the ice dispenser. Skippy tended to be on the receiving end of this until the past month or so and therefore I didn't seem to worry too much about it as I didn't know the frequency of the problem. Well, I came home the middle of the week to find the ice in the dispenser fused up as though a thaw and re-freeze cycle had occured in teh freezer. A clicking sound was coming from the rear of the fridge. I got it restart after simply powering off then replugging it (causing the cover plate to the recepticle to completely crumble and fall in the process). After getting home Friday, I foudn it clicking again, warming inside in both the fridge and freezer and the restarting trick to not rememdy the issue. Off to the store for 50 lbs of ice and to the grarge to round up all the coolers. I let things go, keeping all the perishables iced over the weekend, 75% of which I was able to save. In the process of this mess, I checked the pack, removing a cover plate and finding the sourse of the clicking sound. I knew it was electrical from the previsouly mentioned problems and the fact that the little fan in the freezer was attempting to spin but only doing so in sync with the clicking sound and never actually "kicking on." Today I got after the job at hand, first calling GE's service hotline and having what I was afraid of confirmed. Everything but the condenser and associated parts was out of warranty. Tomorrow being the earliest they could come giving me a lovely 8-5 time frame with a call ahead that I had to request (and probably wouldn't actually occur). While on hold, I was instructed that parts could typically be purchased locally from a distributor (not the same place I bought it from though) . At the same time I was already online checking out the GE appliance home page which luckily had a parts listed also present. I scheduled the appt for tomorrow but was able to track down the part number (I had the model and serial numbers of the unit with me) while at the office. A phone call later and I had tracked down the part, at a store just up the street from a customers office. Three hours later I had the motherboard for the fridge in hand. 6 hours later, the board was installed and I was up and running again.
I will say I am proud of myself. I know I've saved a fair amount of cash even if the board was much more than just a possible capacitor to be replaced ($100 vs 25 or so) compared to $70 for a service call and whatever parts and predetermined labor fee I would have been hit with for a 15 min job. I don't have to spend half tomorrow waiting for a call ahead. I didn't drop $10 on ice tonight. I actually gambled on a solution and won. Keep me away form the paint. Give me something with nuts, bolts, or real basic electrical stuff (I self diagnosed the boat but didn't have the tools to make that one happen). OK, so be leary about the electrical stuff but I'm getting better at it. Now, if things would go my way with wood products I would be ok. Good tools would help. Guess it's time to call and cancel that appt for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lawtonfunk said...

$10 for bag of ice.
$0.89 for a new receptacle cover.
$100.00 for a new refrigerator motherboard

$200,000 for a new house because you were too cheap to call and electrician to check out if the circuit had burned insulation.

Knowing I will never let you hear the end of this when it happens . . . priceless.

The Double D said...

The recepticle cover didn't fall off until I messed with teh screw on it. I think it had been over tightened previously, cracked, and was being held by the pressure from the screw. The first thing I checked when I realized it was electrical was the circuit break and all was good.
Plus the moron appliance repairman would have never thought of this anyway. That's why I have insurance.

Lawtonfunk said...

Well,

That's a relief. I thought the cover had been damaged by heat a.k.a. fire.