Friday, September 14, 2007

I'll Take It...Maybe

So, I'm going through my normal routine a bit later than normal. The bosses car is dead (battery) and we have been trying to jump it, unsuccessfully. As I am waiting on him to figure out what he is going to do, and if I need to tote him around, I figure I will do my normal check email, online bank statement, ESPN, etc. to start my day. It’s what I do when I come into the office. If I don’t go through this routine, I’m usually set up for a crappy day. Anyway, tomorrow is the 15th which means I get paid either at midnight last night or tonight. I hadn’t quite figured out when JCI posts to your account when the date falls on the weekend. I check the account and my check is in and showing pending. However, I also noticed that my account is up from what a normal paycheck would reflect and commissions aren’t paid mid-month. I check the details and low and behold, my old company has a payment pending into my account as well. Extremely odd as they pay commissions quarterly and I got that check a couple weeks ago from previous services rendered. I noticed the amount looked familiar and cross checked it to my last check from them. The totals matched exact. It was for half what my typical check on salary draw was, when I was there. Now, both of these payments are pending so there is a chance that the one from the old job will be rescinded. I have never seen this happen though. Usually once it is showing as a pending payment and monies in your account, it’s as good as there.
Now the fun part. Do I call my old company? Do I let it slide and see if they deduct it from what I believe will be my last commission check from them in a couple months? Do I not think twice about it until tomorrow AM when it will be either officially posted or not? Ethics suck and I honestly don’t know what to do. I would have understood this maybe in the first month after I left, but considering they had my time documented well enough to give me half a check for my last week or so, previously, why would they have me in at all now? Had it happened in July, I would have happily called, told them what was up and had it corrected. At this point I kinda look at it as a “If your accounting is that screwed up, tough crap, go fix your own problems.” I am guessing taxes and everything have been taken out since the amount match perfectly. I’ll check the mail for a pay stub or something on paper from them. Maybe they shorted me on my commissions for the amount of half a check and found the mistake. I didn’t notice so that’s mighty nice of them to take care of it. Of course, I might have caught it had they sent me my June commission numbers as well. Who knows? If I get more info, I’ll crank out an update. Otherwise, one of the dude’s (and his Mexican’s) coming to give me a paint estimate this afternoon are gonna get the job and it will be as if I didn’t have to pay according to my budget and bank account.

3 comments:

Lawtonfunk said...

Don't spend that money until you call your old boss. I don't want to have the, "Yeah, I got a friend in jail . . ." conversation with people b/c you were a dumb@ss.

The Double D said...

I haven't spent it yet and won't be doing so. I stopped by their office earlier today for other reasosn and brought it to one of my old bosses attnetion. We will see what happens. They just closed out some books so either they found a mistake or screwed up. I feel I have done my due dilegence. If nothing else, I am probably still owed a little commission and this would/could be deducted from it.

Anonymous said...

If you can remember that far back, did they perhaps withhold your first paycheck? I've known employers who do this and thus you're always paid one pay period behind. At the end you get an extra check that is really just your last check, as your first one wasn't paid until after your second pay period. Or perhaps you had some vacation or sick days that you were allowed to cash in. Either way, I say spend it on hookers and blow. Or you can buy me a new fry daddy.