Tuesday, August 15, 2006

In the News

I'm sitting at my desk today responding to way too many emails mainly because it hurts to walk. Last time I checked going for the catchers knees neither constitutes a slide in the traditional since of avoiding a tag and scoring nor is it "running over the catcher" where you put a shoulder into their chest or shoulder in hopes to knock the ball away. It seems more like an "I'm a dumb ass and don't know what I am doing" or an "I'm a prick who takes adult softball way to seriously" move. At least he went out with what one can hope is a concussion. Now I understand we all want to win when we play. Guilty as charged right here. Guess I am more pissed off than anything. It hurts to walk as mentioned and not being quite the youngster anymore I have a gut feeling whatever is wrong with my knee isn't going to be healed up anytime soon. I'm just a terrible injured/sick person more than anything and get mad about it.

Well, now that you know why I am sitting here reading the news and replying to the morning email barrage, this is what I have come across. Is anyone really surprised? Is it really news? I can't believe (read in sarcasm so thick you need a steak knife) that people who actually made the effort to relocate themselves are fairing so much better than those who sat on their butts only to get stranded atop houses that weren't swept away. You can use all the excuses you want about these same people being far worse off beforehand, etc, etc, but that doesn’t mean you can't make a change. Things sucked where you were, you got moved whether by your own accord or someone else’s and now you are some place new which means maybe you can at least attempt a new start is it really any big shock?

In another story, unrelated but in the same lumped headline section there is apparently a charm school for men where you spend a nice chunk of coin to learn to approach women, initiate and hold conversation, and read their subtleties. They through you to the wolves after doing some teaching then the following morning the group comes back together for a debriefing. Oh yeah, and utilizing the affects of alcohol is minimalized though bars are used in the trial runs along with bookstores and other social places. Classes are in NYC, LA, San Fran, London, and Sydney AU. Great in theory but can John Doe function back in his normal environment knowing no-one there is grading his efforts other than the two buddies he hangs out with weekly that are in the same rut? I have my doubts. I am guessing the removal of heavy alcohol would alleviate some problems for a lot of guys out and about. That and women actually using body languages and gestures somewhere in between simply moving hair behind their ear and grabbing a guys crotch.

1 comment:

Nobrainer said...

I really don't put very much faith into meeting women at bars. There are just too many variables to be accounted for. Sadly that's about the only time I even try (very poorly I'll add) to pick them up.

No wonder I have problems.