Thursday, June 29, 2006

Welcome to....

Toronto, Birmingham, or New Mexico? Wow, sounds great! Oh yeah, we are going to continue to welcome folks to Houston, but we haven't figured out what we are calling this new/replacement bowl game. The above have all been approved by some Bowl Liscensing Committee to host during the following post season. This, on top of the added BCS game in Arizona and all the bowls I can't keep straight anyway as they all go by their corporate sponsor names instead of their traditional tag (It will always be the Peach Bowl damnit). My math isn't too sharp today but I counted about 32 games for the post season. That means 64 teams get to travel. No less than a third of them will lose money (ala Tiger to the Humanitarian) in this venture. More than a couple won't be able to pull a fan base large enough to see their share of tickets for the event, even if it is in a decent place. Toronto? Are we prepping some Sunbelt talent for the CFL? New Mexico, package in a January ski trip to Taos and I may consider it, or not. Can you say watered down? I didn't even think their were enough teams with winning or .500 records to fill that many slots. I think starting this year, I will not ackowledge any bowl that can't be played after Christmas Day and start whittling them down from there on merit of existence.

No comments: