Thursday, February 03, 2005

Assisted Living

I, along with the masses of engineers with jobs and half a brain, have decided to start seriously looking for a place to call my own and purchase my first place. The more I think about it though, the more of a tough decision it becomes. I mean, financially, its the smart move but then there are the drawbacks. Insurance, maintenance, random crap I don't care to think about, cleaning up after myself, etc. Then one day a couple months back, it hit me. I was driving around and saw what I thought to be a nice condo complex, but no, it was an assisted living "community." At this point, I thought to myself and said aloud to Oberg and Paul, I know what I am going to do. I am going to live in an assisted living community. Monthlies would be like an expensive apartment. I could get as drunk as I want, put on a helmet and run into things. No one would notice. Then I could crap my depends whenever I wanted, and just hit the orderly button. Of course I would tip well and give all the staff great Christmas gifts and everything. But think of it. I make some cash, hang out with funny old folks, and have people take care of me. Even sponge baths. I could live out my nonprofessional life as Harry Caray. I may even do a little reverse gold digging or at least hit on some old woman granddaughter or a nurse. Can you picture me wheel chairing it down the hall against some geriatric, both of us in bicycle helmets and ropes? It would be the JD olympics. I could even host a seniors tour JDGA golf event. Yeah, I think I have it all figured out now.

2 comments:

Lawtonfunk said...

Yeah, all my friends from Augusta bought houses right before I moved. It was depressing. They were getting 1800 sq ft. I was moving into 600 with another 2 years of condo life after that. I hate condos/apartments. I want a yard, a shop, and a studio/office. My 600 sq ft of bliss barely holds my crap, much less accomidates. I will say that owning the condo will feel good. You throw your money away when you pay rent. When you pay your morgage, you're just saving money for a bigger house's down payment while you live in a starte home. Brilliant!

Nobrainer said...

You're all about being able to shit your pants, aren't you?

Take sollace in knowing that I'm still at two years from buying a house. Plus I bet J-Rod still doesn't have a house (but I could be wrong). I know Mac bought a lot, but that's a far cry from a house.

But I can't wait to get some serious square footage, grass mow, room to work, and mortgage payments.