Monday, September 12, 2005

Assistance Please

This is a serious and urgent post. I have spent parts of each day this weekend dicking around with my computer, at least between football games when Iw as supposed to be using it for strudious purposes. It seems that in rebooting it to pick up our wireless network some files went misplaced and it wouldn't even reboot. I have tried repairing it from my origianl XP disk but nothing seems to owrk. Even last night, I told it to reformat the drive and reinstall. I don't have the equipment to pull it off apparently. Now I need you, the residents of Whatown's help. Anyone with an XP disk please hook me up. I have my old code, and even Service Pack 1 on a seperate disk, but my regular bootup doesn't seem to have what I need anymore. I gotta get this thing running or my grad school groups are going to thoroughly dislike me. Let me know what can be done. I will try and get one from the office as I do have the code as mentioned but it doesn't look so good on that horizon right now.

5 comments:

Lawtonfunk said...

You have to load windows from a CD to reformatt when your computer gets this screwed. Also, you're going to lose everything.

I'm sure you probably know all of this, but I just wanted to check.

turn off your internet connection. Uninstall everything piecemeal. Then, try to reformatt.

Oh, you can also put your laptop on the coffee table, unplugg it, and use it as a coaster.

Nobrainer said...

Were you able to get to any point where you could do a system restore?

The Double D said...

I went from being able to boot up to never seeing teh first page again. soemthing in the system32 config directories. I have the CD in and got as far as installation with my drive reformatted and received a new error indicating I was missing another. Hopefully tomorrow at this time I will have my hands on a different XP start-up disk and will be able to go from there. I have most of my important stuff, less quality entertainment saved to a CDRoms anyway. Getting that backup drivek that I passed on is looking like a bonehead move right about now.

Agent Orange said...

uhh try going through the safeboot by pressing F* when it is booting and going to "last known good startup" or something. That should realign all your configs and such

Agent Orange said...

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

If going through safe mode does not fix it then try booting to last known good config.

That's everything I can get you without formatting the drive.